Monday 20 August 2007

How to Spot a Fake Guitar


guitar
Originally uploaded by keela84
As a musician, I can tell the difference in timbre and tonality of a good guitar and a substandard one. There is something about the hum of a well made guitar--warm and blanketing--that the light tin of a lesser version can't match.

That said, my first guitar cost $90 and was from a discount shop. I learned to play 'Miss American Pie' and the entire Beatles catalog on it, and it treated me well until I upgraded.

When my brother started playing, he decided to try and buy a high-end guitar right away. Looking for a good deal, though, turned up some pretty bad counterfeits.
Getting fooled on something like that is a bummer, so here are some tips to make sure you buy the best:

Gibson Leads the Fight Against Counterfeit Guitars

And to report anything suspicious:
Internet Crime Complaint Center


-LiliAna A.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for writing this.